Sunday 26 August 2012

Homme Chaton: Day 2 Post-Op.

Thank you to everyone who has donated money to help pay for Homme Chaton's vet bill. He is two days post-op, and this morning the vet phoned to tell me he could come home to start his full cage rest recovery.

His surgery involved attaching his pelvis back onto his spine using screws, and the removal of the top of the bone of his left leg where it sits in the socket of the hips. Apparently he doesn't really need that bit, and will walk just fine without it.

He is very unhappy. I feel terrible for the little guy. However, the vets are confident he will make enough of a recovery to live a full and happy life. Maybe it will be a three legged life in the longer term, as right now he is not using his left rear leg properly, and is not aware they he is dragging his toes a bit. This may improve, and it may not. And it is only his first few hours home. It is clear to me, though, that he is so uncomfortable. He can poo now, though! We will take that as a win. It means that no matter what, he wont need to be put ot sleep. He has to be confined for four weeks at least. I just hope he's not too much of a turd about it.

The response to my request for help to pay the vet bill has been amazing. People have been lovely, and I have been trying to stay on top of thanking each person for their donation. If I have missed you somehow, I am so sorry! I have been trying to follow a simple protocol, but invariably any system I implement fails in some way.

What might be harder to repair is my pride. I struggled with asking for help. I really didn't want to. I am an adult with an income, and my life and the things in it are very much my own responsibility. And yet here I am, unable to deal with this situation without help. Some days thinking about our ongoing financial situation leaves me feeling physically ill. Some days I am simply angry about it, and I stomp about the house with a face of thunder. Yet on others I am optimistic, and I am convinced that if we work hard, things will get better. Those are the good days; the days that make the bad ones bearable.

One day I hope that there are more good days than there are bad. In the mean time I will try and be the best person I can be, and remind myself that there are a lot of people out there who care about others, even when they don't have to. After so many years of being systematically targeted by another with the sole of aim of destroying us financially and emotionally, it is good to know that there are people out there who will do what they can to help make it better.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Aww sad video clip as he looks so confused :( lots of hugs and healing vibes being sent your way xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, poor little devil. Glad he's home and complaining about the cage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem with asking for help. That's what Christian living is all about. Sorry about the religious notation. There still are many good people out here in the world. Just know we are only doing what we are supposed to do that is, show love when it's needed. It will be tough with the cage stay but worth it in the end. :-D

    ReplyDelete