Thursday 30 August 2012

Homme Chaton: Day 6 post-op.

Today I added up the total amount of donations which we have received to help pay for Man Kitten's vet bill. The vet bills came to about £2350. We have so far generously received from friends, family, and strangers the total sum of £1046. We lost a portion of that to PayPal fees. I haven't added that up because it will make me sad and I don't want to think about things that will make me sad.

What I am not sad about is that 60 people have helped us. Sixty. Six Zero. 60. That's just so amazing, and I thank every single one of you from the bottom of my heart. There is still a little more to come from the generous Miss Imp team, who are donating this weeks show proceeds to the bill.  I am particularly enamoured with the Facebook event picture.

Today is day 6 post-op, and Homme is, well, he's pissed off about being in a cage. He doesn't care that I got him a bigger cage. He still hates it. I'm kind of hurt about that! Here I am, trying to make him as comfortable as possible and ensuring he has enough space to fling his kitty litter around with flair and drama, and all he can do is bleat about how bored he is.

I have allowed him out a bit today, to talk to his sister kittens, and to have a little bit of careful exercise. The sister kittens have stopped freaking out so much about the whole situation. I asked a vet about it on Tuesday, and she explained that the cats form a little pride, like big cats. Man Kitten, as ridiculous as this may sound to those that know him, is their leader. He is the head of the pride (stop laughing). When he had his accident and was taken away, the girls thought he was dead or lost, never to return, and their world was turned upside down. They are juvenile females who think they need a leader and have clearly never heard of Germaine Greer. They thought that they were going to be stuck with Monkey as boss (who has read everything Germaine has ever written), and frankly the thought of that made them go a bit doolally.

But today they have both given him hesitant kisses, and while he looks and smells a bit odd, they seem to be calmer about it and perhaps are less inclined to think that the sky is falling.

I have been taking short videos of him walking so that I have something to gauge his recovery from. I am pleased to observe that he seems to be lifting his left rear leg a lot better, and is no longer curling his toes. His control of his leg is still a bit rubbish, but I am told it will improve with time. I hope they are right, but they have been right about everything thus far, so I guess they might know what they are talking about. For £2350 one would hope that they know something.

4 comments:

  1. Jesus fuck! I defy anyone who's had a hip replacement to walk around after 6 days. Impressive little bugger. Also, his tail looks hilarious. We at MissImp are happy to be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the like button for your comment? What is this, the dark ages? Please just assume I have 'liked' your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All he understands is that you have put him in a prison! YOU! A mere servant, have placed is royalness in a prison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can set up pay pal for donations, so it can ask the person giving the payment to also pay the fees if they want to do so. Worth looking into...

    Hope he'd doing ok...

    ReplyDelete